Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Wicked Witch lives on...on Broadway, that is!


I got the chance to see the musical, Wicked, when it came to Lansing, Michigan in July 2008 (thanks, Victor!) This story was so wonderfully written, it didn't surprise me that it would someday become as popular as it has. There had to be some way for these characters to come to life, in some place other than on the yellow brick road. And I think that broadway was, and still is, the perfect way to do so.


I can remember sitting anxiously in my seat, with a enlarged map of OZ in front of me. There were times when I forgot that I wasn't a part of the story, that I was living in my own "Kansas"...I was still at home yet somehow part of the tale too. The energy that filled the auditorium was electric and had the entire audience entranced.
If you ever have the opportunity to see this show, jump on your broomstick as fast as you can because this show is definitely worth leaving home for.

For ticket sales and future productions, visit images.broadwayworld.com/upload/34830/wicked2.jpg
Check out these videos of "One Short Day" and "Popular", two of my favourite songs from the musical...enjoy! Both videos are courtesy of http://www.youtube.com/
I have also read "Son of a Witch" and "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister", both from Gregory Maguire. Although I was not able to attach myself to these stories as much as Wicked, they were still enjoyable and very entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment