Sunday, January 18, 2009

"I'll get you, my pretty"...The untold version of "The Wizard of Oz"


While on a student exchange in Italy during the summer of 2007, in between day trips to Rome and barely scratching the surface of my ancestry, I fell in love with the works of novelist Gregory Maguire. For those readers who are unfamiliar with this name, perhaps it would interest you more to know that he is the author of "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West". As the title suggests, this novel allows the reader to see the world of Oz from the side of the protagonist, the woman with the pea-green skin and cackling laugh.

Growing up watching "The Wizard of Oz", I had the same prejudices against the Witch of the West as most people do; she's out to get sweet, innocent Dorothy because of the ruby slippers and makes her journey back to Kansas as difficult as possible. Yet, until I read this book, I never bothered to question why Elphaba (the Wicked Witch's first name) wanted those ruby slippers so badly. To make a long, although humoursly entertaining story short, Elphaba is looking for acceptance and is deeply misunderstood. The novel has everything a good book should have...the war between love and hate, the lessons learned from a friendship turned bitter, the issues of politics in a descriminating and harsh society, and the truth that whatever ugliness and imperfections we carry, there is always a chance to live life instead of fear it.

Before you crack the spine of "Wicked" though, let me warn you, you will never be able to watch "The Wizard of Oz" with the same mind as you did in your childhood, Gregory Maguire makes sure of that.

I highly recommend reading "Wicked" because it forced me to not simply notice my own and other people's imperfections, but to give credit to those who succeed in a largely imperfect world. This book also gave a voice to the feminist in me, because if a woman like the Wicked Witch of the West can hold as much power over others with her simple presence and stand up alone for her beliefs, then there is definite hope for the rest of us.

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. ahh Wicked is amazing! Haven't had time to read it yet but was lucky enough to see it on Broadway. Such an essential message is a part of it and I agree about the feminist undertones. Props to giving props to a fabulous narrative

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting, Jenna! Thanks for posting about it -- I will have to check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that; "Wicked" is an utterly hilarious book! Unfortunately, when I went to read "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" it wasn't nearly as awesome as the former... So sad! Elphaba still remains pretty dear to my heart though. Awesome recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about feminism, :D but a good book from the view of the 'supposed' antagonist is always a great insight to "the other side of the story".
    I loved The Wizard of Oz, and this story sounds very interesting. Sort of the way John Gardner's "Grendel" let us sympathize with the monster from Beowulf.
    Might give it a look some day. :)

    ReplyDelete